Here’s a case study of an experimental Live Open Social Media Office Hours that went right!
How do you help a business owner in the aerospace metal and specialty steel distribution industry develop a social media strategy? We did just that during our inaugural Open Office Hour on Google Plus.
Michael is a young business development professional in an industry where everyone is twice his age whose idea of being a social business is joining LinkedIn groups as a gateway to live networking events. Michael wants to be an innovator in his field and create a presence on Google Plus where none of his competitors are present. Towards this goal, he is facing a number of issues:
- He is worried that blogging may not be fruitful since no one wants to read about metals
- He wants to migrate decision makers in his company’s target market from linkedIn to Google Plus, but he is concerned that they are oblivious to the benefits of social media in general, and Google Plus in particular.
- He wants to avoid LinkedIn since everyone is already there.
- His company has a client/prospect email list, but is not leveraging the list to their advantage.
Here’s a summary of strategies I offered Michael during the office hour:
- Create a Google Plus business page for Michlin Metals
- Setup a branded Youtube channel for Michlin Metals
- Record short informative videos with content that his target market would find valuable and distribute these videos to his email list
- Do not worry that the general public may not have interest in reading about metals, focus on the needs and interests of his industry professionals and continue blogging
- Michlin Metals needs to be where its target market resides. Thus, he was encouraged to create a Linkedin Group and through the instructional videos mentioned above, drive his network to Google Plus
Beth offered valuable SEO advice to Michael as follows:
- To optimize video SEO, create and upload a transcript for each video
- Create a page on Michlin Metals website, and post the recorded videos on the page
- Create an XML site map for the video page to help Google index the content.
Being in an industry that is also resistant to social media, Scott Scowcroft encouraged Michael not to give up. He also shared some of the strategies he has used to convince executives in the health care industry to embrace social media (view the video embedded below to hear Scott share these strategies).
Here is the video recording of our chat with Michael. I encourage you to watch it as we shared more than I summarized above. Hope what we shared is in some way useful to you and your goals.
I am delighted and proud of how our first of many to come Live Open Social Media Office hours turned out, and feel that we made a real difference. I will continue to host monthly virtual office hours with business owners who are hungry for guidance. Why don’t you join us? Circle me on Google Plus and I’ll be sure to send you an invite.